These carrots were one of the best selling dishes at DEZ. I love the combination of the sweet carrots, highlighted by the honey and balanced with the spicy harissa, bitter char, tangy, creamy labneh and nutty, crunchy dukkah. It really is a special dish and turns the simple carrot into a very sexy vegetable. You won’t look at carrots the same way again. I promiss.
(Serves 5 to 6)
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 3 tablespoons honey
• 2 tablespoon harissa paste
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• salt and pepper, to taste
• 2 pounds small carrots, peeled, larger carrots cut in half lengthwise
• 1 cup greek yogurt mixed with 1/2 lemon juiced and pinch of sea salt or 1 cup labneh
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Mix the olive oil, honey, harissa, cumin, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Remove 2 tablespoons to reserve for garnish and toss the rest in the carrots.
- Lay carrots out in a sheet pan and roast in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden and slightly burnt on the edges.
- To plate, spread the yogurt or labneh on the bottom of a shallow bowl and gently lay the warm carrots on top. Drizzle over the rest of the harissa-honey mixture, then sprinkle on the dukkah (recipe below).
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seed-finely chopped-can blitz in a blender
1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts -finely chopped-can blitz in a blender
1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
Large pinch of salt
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and store in an air tight container