This is the freshest, crunchiest spring/summer salad. I love the crunchy texture and bright flavor your get from cabbage, and it still blows my mind how much salad you can actually get out of 1 head of cabbage. It was never my favourite veg, but it’s versatility has definitely made me grow to love it. It holds up to acid so well that even if you don’t finish this salad, you can just throw it in the fridge and use it the day after as the most deliciously bright, nutty and sweet slaw. The garlic is totally optional, but we just love it and the spicy bite it brings to the dish. Serve with grilled fish, pizza, roasted chicken…whatever you want! This Date & Cabbage & Arugula Salad is absolutely delish.
- half head of cabbage- can be either green or red- remove core and shred using a knife
- 2 cups baby arugula- lightly packed
- 1/2 cup toasted salted sunflower seeds- if you only have raw- dry roast in a skillet for 5-10 minutes until lightly golden, and then season with a pinch of salt.
- 1/3 cup medjool dates- pitted and roughly chopped (you can also sub with raisins, currants or chopped apricots)
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves- simply torn
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 garlic clove- grated- optional
- 1 tsp kosher or sea salt
- In a large bowl, add the shredded cabbage, arugula, toasted sunflower seeds, dates and picked parsley.
- Grate over the garlic and lemon zest, and then pour over the lemon juice, vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and salt.
- Using your hands, toss the salad so that it is evenly coated with dressing. Pile high onto a pretty plate or shallow bowl and serve.
- Enjoy your salad!